Beach, almost Germany, mountains, and Verona!


Its always Sunny in Garda!

After a 40 kilometer bike ride, the next day was a trip relaxing on the lake with Alessandra and Luisa!  Back to my other favorite spot, Garda!  Unfortunately we were not the only people with the good idea of visiting to the lake on a hot sunny Sunday.  The town was packed! This was not the Garda I remembered! With no luck parking we headed to another lakeside town, Bardolino where we peaked into shops, tried on hats and rings, and stopped for a bite to eat. Attempt #2 we went through Garda again, which was still bustling with people. So we passed through Garda onto Baia Delle Sirene a popular beach area. The beach was full of sunbathers, but only the few brave souls dipped their toes into the cool fresh water. We settle ourselves on the rocky beach and laid in heat to tan or burn whichever was your preference. My preference was to be completely concealed head to toe with long sleeve shirt and towel. It was blistering and the water was calling me into its cold water.  My fellow companions watched and laughed as I gradually descended into the brisk clear water. Ahhhhh so refreshing!!!!! First dip in the water this year and it’s April!!!! Having too much fun alone Luisa creeped waste deep into the lake, but Alessandra needed more convincing. But I am can be pretty persistent! She tiptoed into the lake at knee level just long enough to snap a group selfie. In the distance I could see two paddleboard making their way right towards us.  Toys! I love water toys!!!!!! A few minutes after the paddleboarders reached the shore, Alessandra asked if her Americano friend could try the board.  I was on the board and paddling at lightning speed! Funny how different the view is from the water, so glad I got to experience it!
  
            
                                    



  

Are we in Italy?

On Tuesday I chauffeured Simone so he could do work. As I zoomed towards the mountains of Bolzano and Bressanone to visit a MGL/VGL client that makes gigantic printers for textiles and tiles. It was a scenic drive and as we got closer we switched so I could gaze out my window at the lush green mountains hovering over the highway. So many towns, churches, and castles….oh my!!!!! The little villages above us changed from the stereotypical red tiled roof Italian houses to a dark brown shingles with white painted sides, similar to a German village.  This part of Italy near Austria and German borders, have strong ties to the German culture. In fact all the residents in this region learn both German and Italian as well as English. The client gave us a tour of their factory and showed us their test machines set up to demonstrate to their prospective clients the capabilities of their product. It was soooooooo cool! To see dull white fabric magically transform into brightly designed drapery.  All types of textiles can be printed and don’t get me started on the printer for tiles! I always wondered how they printed fake marble, wood, all sorts of designs onto tiles and to make them look so believable! Tricksters! I will never look at tiles the same way again or be fooled again! 
We took the clients out for lunch and we definitely were not in Kansas anymore.  The people of Bressanone did not dress or look Italian. Many were faired skinned blondes and the elderly were dressed in old Dutch style clothing.  Lucky me to be able to be here to tasted the local Italian-German cuisine! Don’t ask me what I ate, because I do not know. There was not an English menu and I rather not choose anyways. I just want to try local food, so I requested that they recommend a local dish that had meat. My dish was delicious, pretty sure it was veal and it was a really entertaining lunch. The clients were funny, personable, and downright enjoyable to converse with. Unfortunately all good things including company come to an end and we were off to the next client. 





  

  


Veal? And Beef tartare



Mountainous Neverland

Fortunately after our last client visit Simone took the long way home…….through, up, and down the mountains! We went from 82 to 60 degrees! I got up close and personal with the snowcapped mountains that I have been awestruck by since I have arrived in Italy! But my favorite part of this journey was again…..common theme going here………….the faraway villages!  As the Audi zoomed up and around the side of the mountain I saw just a church above me standing alone. After several zig zagged turns and several degrees cooler a village magically appeared tucked into the hillside below the church! It was like a kid looking into the candy store! I could not get enough of it! How did it get there?!?! Why did they build a community so high up?! What does its inhabitants do for a living? Does Belle from Beauty & the Beast live there? I love making up stories about these whimsical towns!  As we came down the winding roads the fantasy world in my mind slowly vanished.  Back to the real world with a content grin on my face appreciating the times I can let the kid in me escape.  It was a long day of driving but filled with amazing company.  Simone and I are a perfect traveling duo. Once work has been accomplished it is time to enjoy the little things and we both enjoy similar things…….the mountains. The saying goes good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter, but I disagree, some journeys are better when they are longer and worth the distance!

 The castle marking the beginning of our climb!



The village that magical appeared!



For my Syracusians!!!! Snow your favorite!!!!!

   


 Ski Resort town



Crocus Flowers!!!!!!!! Spring is here!!!!


Love this view! It was my another favorite!





What is that in the distance?

Another mountain town!!!! Unbelieveable!


Happy Ginger in the Wild where she belongs!



Our day has ended with a sunset over the hills

Verona....I am not done with you yet!

Wednesday was Italy’s Labor Day providing me a holiday to venture into Verona. The streets were packed with tourists and locals enjoying the holiday and its festivities. Luckily I had Giulia and her boyfriend as my personal tour guides giving me a time crunched taste of the city before my train to Rome. We even got in a little shopping! Verona has so much to offer and character! It has its own arena, a much smaller version of the Colosseum, a castle, and the river that rushes through it brings a romantic aspect to every bridge. And I even got a little frisky today! Yup I touched Juliette’s tit, as locals like to use the more vulgar word for breast.   There is a statue of Juliette in Verona located at Casa di Giuliette (Juliette’s House). To complicate the accounts on the Romeo and Juliet history on fictional people, Casa di Giuliette (Juliette’s House) is in the heart of Verona. This house is not part of the story, but was owned by a family who declared it was Juliette’s house because their name is very similar to Juliette’s surname, Capulet. So now it is a tourist attraction where you can see a balcony where Juliet called out to Romeo, but didn’t………..because she isn’t real and that balcony didn’t originally exist on this house! It is unfair to compare the two cities because I still have not had time to explore Vicenza on my own, but I think I like Verona more! I guess that just means I will need more in-depth excursions of both cities to truly appreciate them for their unique individuality! But these adventures will have to wait for two weeks. I am off to Roma, Napoli, and Reggio Emilia! Goodbye Northern Italy, here I come Southern Italy!

Welcome to Verona!



The Arena




The parade



Streets and places of Verona

   







Casa di Giuliette





Bridges!






The Castle!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over the Vicenza Hills

Two cities, one weekend: Modena & Bologna