Capri: Ginger's Island (Watch out Gilligan!)


Capri





My personal tour guide of Napoli and Visa Global host, Raffaele, suggested I go to Capri on the national holiday.  I visited this island 8 years ago......But keeping my head up I am going to do things I didn’t do before. New chapter new adventures! I awoke too late to go for a run so I got the brilliant idea I would run WHILE visiting Capri! Today was the first “chilly” day since I arrived in Italy, so wearing just my running shorts wasn’t an option. But what if the sun comes out to play? Solution: I pulled jeans over my shorts so I could depants when I got warm.......which would not take long as I am always hot! I took an hour ride on a hydrofoil where passengers left and right unpleasantly retasted their breakfast. Whew so glad I don’t toss cookies! Stepping onto the island dock I heard the shouts in many languages luring tourists onto guided tours. Hell no! I am single ready to mingle......with nature! Off I go until a clear crisp voice caught my attention. Perfectly spoken East Coast American accent sang into my ears! Well hello! Abruptly turning around I started a conversation with a college student who in the summer works on Capri because he has family there! Lucky! I interrogated the poor guy asking all sorts of questions about the island and of course allowing him to lure me onto a boat tour around the island. I love boats and viewing land from the perspective of the sea so off I went!






The island is rocky with bright blue water near its edges. It is known for its many grottos of different colors, but unfortunately the high tide and clouds preventing the vibrant colors to glow prominently in the grottos.  Oh well I am on a boat with a small group of tourists, life is good!




   


***More boat tour pictures at the end!***

The tour was a perfect way to relax before the storm.....that is the waves of tourists I would surf through to get to the towns on the islands: Capri and Anacapri. Shuttle buses leading to the towns were packed like a stuffed sausages.....yuck!  Determined not to be a sausage, I found the pedestrian path to Capri! Warmup run begins.......right……..meow! Up the weaving path and stairways at a steady pace stopping to enjoy the climb, the ocean view, the wind, and lemon trees! Not too many grape vines here but plenty of lemons which this region is known for its limoncello. I arrived at the “piazza” of Capri which was a teeny tiny square packed with people.  Oooooo that street looks interesting and empty! Weaving around the maze of alleys in Capri enjoying the quiet walk and homes until I was right back where I started. Haha looking for a quiet place on an island bustling with tourists is hard but I was up for the challenge! My logic of the day: if you climb people won’t come. Onto Anacapri, the town higher up the island that I did not explore the last time on this island, so it was meant to be!
 





 


Unfortunately I could not find the walking path to Anacapri, so I became a sardine packed on a bus. Immediately arriving into the town center I hopped off the shuttle and with one breathe started an impromptu half mile sprint.....don’t ask! I just made a huge typical Therese error! My lungs burned and beads of sweat dripped off my face as I walked and coughed back to the piazza which was just as crowded as its fellow island town! But I knew better, I have hiked this island before. It was just a matter of carefully selecting my destined path up up up and away! OoooOoooo what is that said the lingering tourist in me! A funicolare, a cable car or a ski lift, up to the tippy top! Whoa 11 Euros for an 8 minute round trip....there has to be a way up there! After inquiring several locals and tourists I found my destined trail taking me to the top of the funicolare.


Time to depants and start my work out! Workout of the Day: CAPRI!!! I am in shape but hills are a whole nother level! My lungs still recovering from my previous mishap begged for a break but my legs urged me forward. Eventually the hill won but really it was the views that halted me in my sneakers. My run became a 45 second run with a minute walk or stop to enjoy the bright little wild flowers that covered the hill. One of my breaks I stopped to wet my aching throat with water. There was a white rocky formation with four perfectly perched seagulls. I snapped a picture but.....are the rocks moving? Yes yes they are! GOATS!!!!!!!! And a BABY GOAT!!!!!!! I grew up with goats and I swear that kids are the cutest baby animal EVER! I freaking love nature!



I watched the goats expertly navigate the boulders only to remind myself I had my own stone to climb. The path had a fork: right towards the funicolare or left a less travelled trail to where? The road less traveled has not steered me wrong so leftward I went. It didn’t take long to lose my breath to the panoramic view of the water and houses below, land in the distance, but the breeze was the best! Watching the swaying trees and listening to rolling grass as the wind whipped through my hair made me feel like…………I AM ON TOP OF THE WORLD! As queen of the hill I choose this place to have my lunch, an apple with Nutella. Settling down to have my picnic the sun was peeking through the afternoon clouds heating me body as the breeze dried my sweat. My belly satisfied, I sat with my eyes closed listening to the swirling tales of the wind and feeling its cool breath on my face. Pretty sure time does stop for moments like this.




 


 






But time did pass and after finally I was content to move onwards. I went down the hill only to travel up another towards the top of the funicolare.  I continued my sprint 45 seconds and walk a minute until I reached my destination. The view at the top was amazing and best if you looked down the jagged edged cliffs meeting the sea.  The cloudy morning had completely vanished showing off the bright blue water! I could see the rock formations from the morning boat excursion. It was amazing to see the same features from a different view! This hill is different than the last which was more open. This one was like a modern castle, by castle I mean a restaurant, surrounded by fencing to protect those in it.  There was no rock or grass to sit and stare beyond the ocean’s edge. Perhaps I have been spoiled by my previous spot and still enamored with it, so I did not stay long.  There was also another discovered trail I was destined for. Hi ho Hi ho down the hill we go!


 


Casa de Mackenzie! My good friend and colleague who has been a close confidant has HER OWN HOUSE on Capri!  I was running on the third trail and there it was! Soooooo……….Taking this moment just to cheer out………………….Mackenzie Galloway you are an amazing person and deserve a villa on an island! But please let me visit!


Continuing on my way I found another spot on the cliffs edge as well as a circular building with three arches.  I love arches they are so romantic! Taking time to capture some pictures of the arched landscape and selfies!  I did not stay long because I had to catch the shuttle to Capri, walk to the port, catch the hydrofoil, and fill my belly with the delicious local seafood in Napoli. 










Always time to practice snatches!!

But there is always time for fun in the setting sun!  Walking down the steep gravel trail is like walking on ice waiting to fall right on your bum!  Running was not a better option because it surely would end up in a full gallop down with no way to stop! On my descent down I began with the choppy gate of a trotting pony bringing me back to my youth when I used to ride my horse. As my confidence increased I choose the smooth gate of a canter, changing leads every few steps, and of course humming music to compliment gate.  My lead changes became more frequent until I was gleefully skipping along like a kid! Sometimes it’s best to find your inner child and just go with it!





BOAT TOUR














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over the Vicenza Hills

Two cities, one weekend: Modena & Bologna