36 hour in Roma!


Pre 36 Hours: 2 days of Roma seaside

Okay I was actually in Roma for 4.5 days, but the first two days were spent at work located near the airport then, of course, drinks and dinner.  This area of Roma is not the popular touristy area where a gigantic arena stands. The benefit of this area is being located in Ostia, which is settled next to the ocean, a completely different lifestyle! It was amazing to experience the Roman seaside life full of beach goers, sailboats, and, of course, water! I enjoyed running and biking the bush (forest or park as we call it) and eating! My host, Stefano, was great! He took me to several places to taste Roman food like Suppli, Foire de zucca, Oxtail, and my favorite……..CARBONARA!!!!!!!! American style Carbonara is, well, not Carbonara.  So, coming to the motherland of Carbonara and eating it again was AMAZING!!!!! One night we went out to dinner and had four types of Roman pasta dishes which we shared. They were all amazing, but of course, the Carbonara was still my favorite, creamy sauce made out of egg yolk and Guanciale, the cheek meat of a pig melts my heart!

Suppli and Foire de Zucca



Carbonara!



Deliciousness from the Sea!!!!

   




Day 1 – Bike Impossible

The weekend came and by Saturday afternoon I was ready to take on the Roman streets I meandered through eight years ago. Thanks to Stefano and Federica, they arranged a bike I could borrow so I could have FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!! A bike really provides a different aspect and outlook of the city in a in a short period of time.  I have already done many of the guided tours of the historical sites the last time I was here in this ancient city. For this trip I only had what was left of Saturday and Sunday (36 hours, but who’s counting?) to get my fill of Roma. Today’s mission: view as many sites in the city in one afternoon. Lettttttt’s go!

A quick train ride into the beating heart of Ancient Roma. Now it was now time to pedal to the metal towards the Colosseum to start this adventure because, when in Rome, you just have to see it all! Oooooooo the Circus Maximus, where the chariots once raced!  And of course, Palatine Hill as the backdrop! A few snaps of the camera… abundant clicks and back on track to the Colosseum! I whizzed by tourist traps like pictures with Spartans, selfie sticks, and expensive water. Because I am not a tourist, I am incognito as a local! I am most definitely not a local nor do I look it, but my bike does! Throughout my day, tourists would point at me and state, in desperation, “Local!” Then, in a foreign tongue, start asking for what I believe was directions. I would politely interrupt, shake my head and exclaim, “New York State!” and continued onwards. The closer to the Colosseum I got the slower I pedaled as the crowds thickened.  I took a few minutes to snap some photos but swarms of tourists overwhelmed me so I hightailed it outta there itching to find the next site to see.


Circus Maximus and Palatine Hill











Down a little alley I thought I was beating the tourist traffic, but I was wrong. There is not a street within a 15 block radius of the Colosseum that isn’t packed like sardines. Pedaling carefully creeping around the sea of unaware tourists. With and against the crowds dodging them as I went.......crap! Damn dude walked right into me and I was on the ground. But with my ancestors’ ninja reflexes I was up brushing myself off, thanking those around me, and took off again. Get me the hell outta here! I know I am not a local but freaking tourists are too much!

Sooooooo, I forgot to mention at the Colosseum I bought a selfie stick and I love it! Definitely not a local! I had been thinking about getting one so when I travel alone I can be in the memories I create……. you know, be part of the beautiful view?  Swallowing my pride of trying to live like a local or at least avoid being part of the school of sardines, I have fully accepted that I am a fish! Did you know selfie sticks are good at taking pictures above the crowds?!?!? Now that I am armored let’s keep swimming, literally swimming, though the crowds to the next monument!

SELFIES!!!!!







I am a tourist!!!!



Like I said before, this chapter isn’t really planned, just an idea of the places and things I want to see. So I often get lost finding the plotted point I was looking for and… “voila!” I would stumble onto a different place to explore! Sometimes I would find the destined site, sometimes not, but when in Rome… get lost and enjoy it! My fast paced adventure was a race against the daylight but also, to take a breath and inhale the culture, history, weather, people….. so many things I get to be a part of, to be thankful for, in one moment. Part of my dash around historical monuments was to reach the top of one of the seven hills where I could view the city below. Now this is how to view the city, a safe distance from the crowds looking down identifying all the monuments I passed by a couple of hours ago. My favorite view: from afar, wondering what the people in the ancient past did and where the current people are headed… except the tourists. We know they are headed back someday soon to wherever and whatever their daily lives holds for them, like me in 10 weeks.






I could’ve relaxed there until the sun went to sleep but my eyes have not had their fill. So I steered along the Tiber River passing many bridges, a castle, a fountain,and piazzas. The best part was the sun setting on the flowing water along my way! After crossing the river, my haphazardly planned journey was at its end. So where to now?

Palazzo di Giustizia



Castel Sant' Angelo














I pedaled to a known point, the Colosseum, but in the process I got turned around several times and enjoyed heading down an unknown path. Eventually, I stumbled upon the Circus Maximus where I started this expedition. Palestine Hill was warmly lit behind the ancient stadium defining its massive features. I sat in the dark with the other passersbys enjoying the view and sweet scent of spring until my stomach started to rumble. I had not eaten since my croissant this morning because who has time to eat when you are on a time crunch? Crunch….I could really crunch on some bread right now…… 

Palestine Hill & Circus Maximus




I headed for the train station but the Gladiators in my head were challenging me to return to the arena. Ignoring the wailing cries from my belly I made a 180 turn towards the massive circular structure which was now radiantly glowing with lights in every arch. The tourists have left to fill the bellies with wine and pasta leaving the few that remain to enjoy the hot summer night. I sat there with Freddy, my loaned bike, and listened to the sounds of the city and whispers of what once was. I was lost in my own whimsical world until the growling turned into roar. It was time to head home to consume Roman food. I finally sat outside in the sea breeze at 10:00 eating my fill of both pasta and meat. I slept like a gladiator that night.







**********More pictures of Roma at the very end!!!!!!**********





Day 2 – Off the beaten path

The next morning arrived with a bite of breakfast and back to the train. I looked up bike tours off the beaten path to plot my own route. To the Appian Way! Made of cobblestone, it was the main road that connected Romans to southern Italy. On my way there I successfully found my first plotted point: the Baths of Caracalla and fell in love with these beautiful structures! If I had more time I would go and visit to learn more about this place but this trip is too short to take a bath! 







Strike 1! Lost finding the Appian way, because I am using a crappy little bike map on a bike tour website.  But……….I found a cool residential neighborhood that just so happens to be on the OTHER SIDE of wall of the Appian way.  So I biked in this area enjoying the peace………it that a pull up bar?!?!?! And a dip bar?!?!?! Sweet! Impromptu workout because these days I never know when I will actually get to go to Crossfit and I miss it like crazy.  The locals stared in what I hope was comical relief at the crazy redheaded tourist in biker pants AND a skirt (cute and functional biker that I am!) getting her sweat on doing pull ups, dips, L-sits, and air squats for a ten minute AMRAP.  After a few beads of sweat rolling down my forehead it was time to get on the OTHER SIDE of that wall. 

  



I found the beginning of Appian Way!

  


Next stop catacombs to learn about where Catholics were buried!  I wasted too much deciding to go underground but because I could not physically see this site I had go and experience it. What was the point of this adventure if I did not at least put eyes on the site I visited? Plus my tour was with Americans! Oh My God!! It sounds so foreign to listen to English with no accent! It is even more strange to talk without several pauses to think of a word that both languages would understand. I also realize I am a chatter box when nothing is holding me back! After ascending from below the earth’s surface, leaving the buried to wait for resurrection I waved goodbye to the Americans and continued down Appian way!




There are soooo many things to see along the way! Along the path are random broken statues and ruins which I believe the street was lined with statues. Pretty cool to view what I was physically seeing and envision what it once was! So much character! Strike 2! I was supposed to get off the Appian Way to visit a couple other places but I went too far, distracted by my enjoyable bumpy Roman ride. Plus the bike map I was using I was guessing where and which site I was looking for. So much for not planning my trip! Oh well it was a beautiful day so I kept smiling along the Appian Way until I hit the train station to check out times to go to Castel Gandolfo.  Two hours before the next train! I really wanted to go because it is a lake town and I love water. But by the time I would get to the lake I would not have enough time to explore it in day light and make my train back to the sea. Shrugging my shoulders and not wasting thoughts of what could have been, I continued ready to see what will come my way! To the Aqueduct Park!

Appian Way 








Villa di Massenzio on the Appian Way








Castrum Caetani






Strike 3! Because I was coming from the train station and I didn’t really know where the Aqueducts were located so I got really lost. Deep in the boring modern life. Nothing scary nothing crazy just gas stations, buildings, and no cool interesting historical stuff. I gave up on the Aqueducts and decided to make it back to the Appian Way because that was fun and I like having fun. In doing so I stumbled upon a park full of happy family picnics, teenagers playing soccer, and lovers sharing a blanket. I loved it! Real people doing their daily life enjoying the beauty around them. It really was a perfect day! I love human behavior especially interacting with each other within the society created around them. I took an elective anthropology course in college and it was my favorite class in all my studies.  It made me realize why Lord of the Flies is one of my favorite books. I find it fascinating to observe why we do the things we do in society combined with our natural animal instincts. So here living Romans interacting with each other and their surrounds………….and what do you know this park IS the Aqueducts!!!!! The massive ruins in the fading sun were enormously beautiful. The clash of modern civilization with these proud structures, proving they were once part of a great civilization was my favorite.  I sat in the grass and watched the modern Romans live life while it’s past created a border around them.  The rest of the day was spent visiting two other parks to enjoy modern inhabitants at its best: enjoying life’s moments.   

Aqueducts!









Parks



  








My last night in the full moon                                                        My last morning in Roma seaside




















Bittersweet

I had a blast the last 36 hours and I still have a half day on Monday to bike the bush and explore the Ostia Antica ruins, a place bigger than Pompeii! When I awoke my head was pounding and my sinuses were acting up. The catch 22 of so much outdoors time! So I took an allergy pill mixed with ibuprofen and rolled back asleep. By the time I stopped snoozing the ten alarms I set there was not enough time to bike Ostia Antica before my train to Napoli. More importantly I wanted to relax….yes even the energizer ginger needs to recharge her batteries! The problem with relaxing is getting lost in your subconscious which keeps tapping you on the shoulder not to ignore it. Eight years ago I went to Roma on my two week leave from my Iraq deployment where I met up with my then husband. After not seeing each other for 10 months you can imagine it was romantic and a beautiful vacation. Visiting Roma again only brought these blessed memories to surface along with a punch of failure in the gut. One step forward two steps back on my progress of my guilt-free mentality. But my new experiences reminded me and confirmed why I took the step to be divorced and single. I was happily biking freely anywhere I pleased creating my own memories in this new chapter. I was lost a lot in Roma, a city mixed with colliding modern and ancient civilizations. But in the last 36 hours I always managed to stumble upon something beautiful in my misguided tour of the crumbling ruins. It only seems fitting to be here as a wandering soul mixed with old and new experiences here trying to find the beauty in all my emotions. So today I biked without a purpose. I passed by the bush, through the busy streets, and along the beach. Eventually I settled myself on a ledge looking into the ocean to enjoy my last hour grappling with colliding experiences and emotions. It was a sunny day cooled off by the continuous breeze, great for sailing something I do miss but have not done since I asked for the divorce. The water called to me relaxing my body as I melted in my thoughts. Not every day is an adventure but every day has its purpose.



 




Roma Pictures Continued!

Palestine Hill 







And More!



I Spy how many cats?!?!?!



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over the Vicenza Hills

Two cities, one weekend: Modena & Bologna